Saturday, September 1, 2012

Happy 55th Birthday

Star Q


As the last of the Baby Boomers, I remember when I was young, ever since we could afford our own black and white television set, my siblings and I would make it a point to sit right in front of it come every 31st August.  We would eat our fried rice and plain coffee that our mom had prepared for breakfast, and have it while watching the Merdeka Day parade telecast live.  And for every independence day celebration, it would always be a small picnic in front of the television set and my mom wouldn't mind the least!

It has been so many years now (Malaysia and I have a four-year age difference!) and I notice that less and less young people who watch the Merdeka Day parade's live telecast.  Lucky are the ones who have the opportunity to attend the parades but those who don't avoid watching the telecast.

I feel that the wide selection of channels that the young people can turn to (with more interesting programmes, albeit less patriotic) give them the choice to do so.  I mean who would want to watch hundreds of people marching pass the Sultan Abdul Samad building when they can watch movies on Movie channels or watch music videos on MTV!

It is a pity that the live telecast of the national day parade has somehow lost it's luster.  However, for some, the parades will continue to shine in our hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...