Friday, September 30, 2011

Nigella Lawson once said in one of her cooking programmes that only mothers can see the beauty in their children and I must agree with her because my wife seems to see beauty in our children and in almost everything they do, even to the extent of conspiring against me!

I have always felt that children should do their share of the housework, they way I was taught by my own mother.  I remember when I was young, my late mother would delegate the housework that she felt we, as children, were able to do.  Chores like washing the toilet, sweeping the house, dusting the furniture, watering the plants and most of all helping her out in the kitchen.  I understood even then, that she needed (and appreciated) all our help because there were eight of us (including my dad!) whom she needed to tend to.  and we, as her children never once tried to escape from doing those chores which eventually became more of our own responsibilities, which we later continued to do without ever being told to do so.

My own children however, are in a way pampered by their mom, so much so I end up helping her with the house chores when I see her getting tired and exhausted from doing all the work.  Surprisingly, when I suggest that the children should share some of the housework (like the ones I did when I was young) she would say that the children would not do the chores properly  like the clothes would not be folded neatly or that there would still be dust in the hard-to-reach corners of the furniture.  And when I express my displeasure towards the children for not lifting a finger to help around the house, she would take the children's side and gang up on me, like refusing to eat or pretending that I am not around!

I am sure that is not a good example to set to one's offspring.  However, I always lose out in the end because in a family of five, how can one father win when the rest of the family gives him the silent treatment!  I guess my suggestions don't count when it comes to expressing my views.  I guess the only view I have is silence!

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...