Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Prawn Behind The Stone


New Take On A Malay Proverb


Some people extend their hands in the name of friendship with an ulterior motive lurking in the dark recesses of their minds.  I have had my fair share of so called friends who initially said that their friendship are genuine but later want from me more than I can actually give them.

A case in point is someone I got to know towards the end of 2009 through a popular social network.  Initially my intention of joining that social network was just to find as many friends as possible.  I never entertained messages sent to me because I did not want to get into things that would affect me negatively.  However, this particular person was very persistent in winning my attention and later on my friendship by consistently sending me messages of hopes of friendship, which I finally gave in to.

I later on found to my dismay that the friendship was merely for the person to use my expertise as an English teacher in order to make the person's course works and assignments much easier.  Most of the time I felt reluctant to do the translations of texts and bibliographies, but in the name of friendship, I persevered.

But I guess, friendship that is based on lies (on the person's part, that is!) cannot last long.  Today, I found out that I am no more in that person's list of friends.  I suspect it was because of a friendly comment that I made on the person's wall.  However, I don't feel like I have lost anything.  In fact I feel like a heavy rock has been lifted from my shoulders.

I think I shall take that rock and throw it at that irritating little prawn that has all this while been hiding behind it!  Look out prawn!

1 comment:

  1. If this person were a real prawn, I would personally marinade it in salt and turmeric and fry it until golden brown. Then I would eat every single morsel! Satisfaction!! :)

    ReplyDelete

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...