Wednesday, February 2, 2011

After The Flood.


The last time this town was hit by flood it was in 2006.  Fortunately for my family and I, we were in another district having our holidays, in spite of the rain which fell throughout the country as it usually did every December.  And fortunately for those who were in this town at that time, the flood was not as serious.

The flood that happened for two days ago for two days, saw a lot of damages.  The day after the flood water receded, I went around town just to take a look at the situation.  The roads were covered with thick mud and strewn all over with debris, which consisted of rubbish and pieces of wood.  Shop owners were already starting to clean their premises, sweeping away water that had stayed stagnant in their shops for two days while salvaging whatever things that were still worth saving.

A former student of mine whose father owns a furniture shop told me that there was no one at the shop when the flood happened, so none of the furniture could be saved.  While we were talking, his mother who was chatting on the phone, cried as she related her experience to the person on the other end of the line.

Another friend who owns a shop selling cellular phones and clocks was speechless when I asked him about the extent of his losses.  He was at a loss for words, with his sad and gloomy face telling me everything I needed to know.  I pursued the conversation no further.

Shop owners not only lose their belongings, but they also lose their livelihood.  It is no wonder that the friend I mentioned earlier refused to say a single word, because he did not only lose all that he had built to provide him with his livelihood, but with its loss, he may have, in spirit, lose a part of his life too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...