Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Serious Shock of Reality

Star Q

Image sourced from Google

The reality of life sometimes hit you like a hurricane.  You know the hurricane is coming because you can see the dark clouds and you can even feel the chill in the air.  The wind has started to pick up, blowing and bending the trees to almost breaking point.  But still, when the hurricane hits you, you are shocked and devastated.

It has taken me some time to write about this situation that happened to a colleague of mine teaching in a neighbouring school.  A very dedicated teacher and always willing to help friends.  So, when it came to my knowledge that she was stricken by stroke, my first reaction was of sympathy.  As with most situations involving this ailment, it came very unexpectedly.

My second reaction was it got me thinking about myself.  As someone who has passed the half-century age mark, I can't help but feel a slight fear about my own health condition.  I know my blood pressure has been teetering around 140 but the doctor had told me it was normal for someone my age.

But again, fear got the better of me because I went for another check up and the result was a total shock.  The doctor had decided to put me on medication.  I was given the gloomy side of reality that there was now no turning back (to my previous healthy self) and that I have to continue medication to avoid other complications pertaining to high blood pressure.  Bold steps need to be taken to alleviate my condition which includes a drastic change in what I eat and plus exercise (no matter how lazy!)

A few years back I survived mostly on boiled food, uncooked vegetables and fruits.  That was just for fun.  But now it's serious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...