Sunday, December 22, 2013

Cigarettes For Breakfast?

Star Q
ii.  STPM 2013



It was 8.00 a.m. and I was at the shop buying some things to cook for lunch this morning when I heard the shopkeeper speaking loudly to two boys.  She was actually speaking louder than she usually does because this time she was scolding two boys who wanted to purchase a packet of cigarettes.

Upon requesting to purchase the cigarettes, the shopkeeper, being a civic-conscious person (and I suspect she was fully aware of the boys' actual age; just as I was!) she asked the boys how old they were.  The two boys started to raise their voices and said they were twenty-one!  The shopkeeper said that the boys were lying to her.

The two boys got even angrier and insisted that they were in fact twenty-one.  The shopkeeper decided it was too early in the morning to quarrel to with two boys who couldn't care much about their health to purchase cigarettes (even though they are under eighteen) and worse, to be smoking at that age!  She decided that she had better attend to her other customers (including me!) who were waiting in line (and staring disapprovingly at the two boys!) to be served rather than the two boys who couldn't care less about themselves.

The shopkeeper sold the boys the cigarettes they.  They immediately scuttled away, happy with the transaction and began to light a cigarette each.  Nice breakfast, I thought!  The shopkeeper admitted to us that she felt guilty doing so but the boys were on the verge of hurtling nasty words at her and she did so only to stop any further commotion.  I don't blame the shopkeeper for being forced into selling the cigarette.  I don't even blame the two boys for buying the cigarettes and smoking them.  I blame the people who taught them the habit; whoever they are.  

Smoking is not only a bad habit but is has also made these two boys behave badly because of their disrespect to the shopkeeper, who incidentally is much older.  Another negative effect of smoking.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...