Sunday, December 15, 2013

To BR1M or not to BR1M

Star Q

Everybody knows about this BR1M  that eligible citizens have been getting (I forget for how many years now)  I have never made any attempt to write about this one-off handout per year that the government is giving mainly because I am not eligible for it.  I don't feel sore that I am not getting it; in fact I am thankful because many other Malaysians deserve it more than I do.

However, I have noticed for quite some time now, people (whether they are the ones who are getting the BR1M or not, I am not sure) have been making comments that the RM500 one-off-per-year BR1M is not enough to sustain their expenses throughout the year; what with the increase in sugar, cooking oil; well almost anything and everything really!

I seem to recall when BR1M was first given out, it was supposed to be a generous (?) gesture by the government to eligible citizens of Malaysia as a form of financial aid for them to start the year; you know, to buy school uniforms, school shoes, bags, exercise books, fees; things that are related to their children starting the school year.  It was never meant to be a monthly hand-out where people can use the money for their monthly expenditure on food or bills or what-have-you!  It was never meant to be an alternative for people to stop working hard and forget about their own financial responsibilities to support their own families.  Never!

But, sad to say, it has always been the norm for people (per say and not only those eligible for BR1M) once you get something given to you without working for it, you feel that you are forever entitled for it;  you feel as if it is your birth right that should never be denied.

It is time to wake up and accept the fact that BR1M is merely the government's way of helping out the people at the beginning of the year when there is a sudden need for extra cash.  It is merely a way to extend some kind of aid to ensure that our children are ready to go back to school.  It is merely a way to ensure that our children go to school on the first day of school with everything new (uniforms, bags, shoes etc) and with high spirit and motivation.





No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...