Sunday, March 3, 2013

Therapeutic Gardening

Star Q



It doesn't come as a surprise to me that so many people will suddenly get themselves involved in gardening after reading a newspaper report about a prominent local political figure whose attempt at (large scale) gardening has started to bring in some profits.  

I personally think gardening can indeed be a profitable endeavor because if it does not bring you profits in the form of money, it will certainly bring you profit in the form of therapy.  Apart from giving you the opportunity to sweat it out (maybe not profusely) while pottering about in your garden (which does not necessarily have to be large scale!) and make you healthy, gardening allows you to release your stress; as an outlet to unwind after a long week at work.  And in my profession, I am not embarrassed to exaggerate on the adjective long.

People say that plants respond well when you talk to them.  This doesn't sound crazy at all because (once in a while, of course!) I do talk to my plants.  Logically my plants do well (a little modesty here!) because I take care of them with some fertilizer, weeding and watering.  However, if my plants can really understand what I say to them, they may wilt instantly!

I find that talking to plants as a personal monologue where I voice out all the grouses I have towards my superiors (there are many!), the frustrations I have towards my students when my lessons fall through (most times with students who couldn't care less!) will make my stress slowly but surely disappear; eventually.

But after having said all that, I feel slightly saddened.  After all the therapeutic gardening to heal myself spiritually and emotionally, I will have it smashed to smithereens all over again, once the new working week starts; and that's tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...