Saturday, March 23, 2013

From Flip-Flops to Stilettos

Star Q


This year's birthday surprise came in the form of a pair of stilettos.  No, I haven't gone bonkers and started putting on a pair of the little red shoes.  Nor have I started buying stilettos for the missus because she has always bought her own pair of shoes; I have learnt the hard way that she never liked the one and only that I bought for her many moons ago.

Anyway this pair of stilettos I am talking about is the ones worn by one of my daughters who turned nineteen earlier this year.  I didn't notice it initially, because I only thought she had grown a few inches taller the last three weeks she came home.  But when she was about to enter the house, I noticed her taking off her shoes; red stilettos no less.

The reality of life then slowly dawned upon me that my daughter is all grown up and I have added another year to my own life.  I was silently stunned and sat down for a while to ponder, many, many years ago, a small little girl who looked like the main character from the children's cartoon show "Doraemon"!  I felt intoxicated by the memories of her growing up but search in vain at the back of my mind the two missing years when I left her with my wife and son to pursue my education abroad.  Until today, I can't help but to think that somehow. that missing two years had had an effect on our father-daughter relationship.

The stiletto incident is certainly one of the many changes that I can expect in the future.  I am certainly bracing myself for all of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...