Saturday, March 10, 2012

A Peek into the World

Image sourced from google
I was born into this country when there were no televisions (at least in the place where I lived!).  And even when televisions appeared into the scene when I was in kindergarten, only the wealthy could afford them; the wealthy one at that time was a Chinese tailor and his family.  Every night, he would readily accept all the young of the village, and the young at heart, into his home, so that they could watch the black and white programmes together, the most famous ones being Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone.  Many years later, my father, who was a Lance Corporal at the time (if I am not mistaken), finally bought a television set, which now, when I think of it, looked more like a liquor cabinet!

And then when television began telecasting programmes in colour, my family and I were the last few to acquire it because we continued using the same 'black and white' television set until I was about fourteen years old.  My father was a Lieutenant then, but we still could not afford a colour TV set.  I remember banging on top of the old B&W TV in order to get a good reception.  And on it's grumpy days, we just to make do without the television.  I was in form three when my father finally bought a colour television set.

The moral of the story here is not the television, be it the black and white or the coloured television, but the technology that crept into our lives.  For some of us it came in an instant, whereas for others, like myself, it came slowly, always lagging behind others.  Whatever the case, television has definitely brought colour into my life!




No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...