Monday, March 5, 2012

Foreshadowing Malaysia's Future

Image sourced from Google

The parents of Malaysian student Mohamed Asyraf Hazziq Rossli, made a statement in the news tonight blaming the recent London riot on England being a welfare country.  A strong statement from someone outside the box and looking in, but nevertheless there is truth in what was said.

I personally saw this situation when I was studying in the United Kingdom (many years ago) where the Brits were given many different kinds of monetary aids (and I suppose they still are?) by the British government.  Those who were jobless were given living allowances, those who couldn't afford their own houses were given housing allowances and even each child in the family was given allowance.  These were some of the monetary aids given that I know of.  And now, when the country is a state of economic difficulty, people still demand the same treatments to be given to them.  And when they don't get them, they go on a riot!

I am not clairvoyant but shudder in fear to think that Malaysia is somehow heading for the same predicament as London.  My stomach pulls in knots when I read and hear about our government lavishing its citizens with monetary gifts (no matter how noble the reasons!)  My head throbs painfully when I think of all that monetary aid given to parents of school-going children in order for them to buy school necessities when for so many years before this, parents have learnt the reality of living, fending for themselves to send their children to school.  Yes, it may be a one-off gesture on the government's part, but what's to stop the money-craving green-eyed monster in every parent to demand for more next year?  And if greed eventually overcomes level-headness, what will stop them from taking the same actions the Londoners did (not surprising though, since many Malaysians seem to enjoy resorting to this method!)

This one-off gesture is one of the many monetary aids given by the government to the people of Malaysia this year and I feel that it would take a lot more on the government's part to keep the people satiated.  We can always call upon the grace of Malaysians to be understanding but if they refuse to give the government the light of day, then I don't even want to think what can happen.  I don't want to think, just pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...