Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Farewell Potluck for Kak Mar


We had another potluck today!  Most potlucks would be happy occasions, with lots of loud chit-chats and infectious laughter.  This potluck that we had this morning was somehow a bit different from the ones we used to have.  There were those usual chit-chats and laughter but I sense that all those were done to camouflage a certain sense of poignancy that everyone at the potluck event must be having at the time.  

The potluck was held to mark the last day (where potluck in the school is concerned!) of one of our beloved colleagues who will be retiring tomorrow.  The do was specifically done for the occasion considering that Pn Siti Marzian had been a regular contributor to the previous potlucks we have had before this.  And she had never failed to make her famous "Nasi Beriyani".  Until now, I still wonder, how early in the morning she had to get up to prepare the rice and the chicken dish.

Anyway, other than the food she prepared, I will also remember Kak Mar (as I affectionately call her) for all the advice she had given me during the sixteen years I have known her.  Two of them in particular will always ring in my mind (hopefully I will be able to hold on to them!)  

Firstly, she advised me not to do unto others what I do not want people to do unto me; which means try not to make people angry or feel bad about me!  And even though people do bad things to me, reciprocate positively.  Secondly, and this I feel is the most important one (I think!) is money is not everything.  When she said this, she was referring to the exam invigilation which should, at a certain point in time, be delegated to younger teachers.  And, oh yes, position (also) is not everything because what is more important is the work you do.

Thank you, Kak Mar, for all the advice.  Insya Allah, I have ten more years of service, if I cannot be a better teacher than you have been, I hope to be just as good and dedicated as you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...