Thursday, February 9, 2012

Bringing Up Children


They will be the death of me yet!  I feel so exasperated when everything I do for my kids don't seem to be enough for them.  They seem to want more and more from me, even when they know I cannot afford to oblige them.

This evening I was given the proverbial slap on the face by my youngest kid.  I will not go into details about what she did to me but suffice to say that it hurt me so much that I could faint.  What hurt me most was, I had been nursing her for the past few days, attending to almost all her needs (like giving her medicine and preparing her food for her) and fulfilling her requests (like buying magazines and comics!)

I even went to the extent of entertaining her when she, out of the blue, wanted to bake some cookies.  I was really very tired that day, but thinking that fulfilling her wish would make her feel better and recover from her illness faster, I obliged.  Her desire to be entertained was only satiated for a moment before she started to claim that she was already getting bored.

It seems she constantly wants me to entertain her and fulfill her whims and fancies and eventually, even the most patient of parents can get tired of it.  And so did I.  But she continued to insist on it, and after noticing that I was not keen in doing so (due to tiredness and frustration!)  she started to throw her tantrum, banging the doors, stomping her feet in front me and ignoring what I was saying.

They say that there is a time and place for corporal punishment but I have never been keen on such things.  I guess that is why my children take advantage of me.  I hope and pray they will become better parents than I have been.  Actually, before that, they should try to be in my shoes first and see how it feels like to be treated like a father; like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...