Tuesday, January 4, 2011

It's Always The Teachers' Fault

An Enviable Team


Teachers are generally responsible for a lot of things, especially at the beginning of the year where there is still a lot of sorting out to do.  Some teachers are responsible for chairing panel meetings after school.  Some are responsible for the enrolment of new students where they are required to collect school fees and complete their personal details and information.  But, in general, most teachers are responsible of ensuring that the teaching and learning process goes on without a hitch on the very first day of school.

All this is not much of a problem because I feel that all these are part and parcel of being a teacher; a responsible one.  After twenty years in the service I have learnt to take anything in my stride and have learnt to accept the fact that we teachers are susceptible to change.

However, I must confess that I disagree that teachers should take the brunt for students' lack of discipline.  You cannot except teachers to be responsible for, let's say, students' reluctance to wear their special uniforms on Wednesdays.  You cannot expect teachers to be at the receiving end of your anger towards students who do not attend the school assembly.  And you should not put the blame on teachers if students stealthily go home early.  I am a firm believer that teachers should not be made responsible for all students' misbehaviour because these teachers have informed, reminded and in fact warned the students to follow all the school rules.

In my twenty years of service, today is the first time an administrator publicly put all the blame on teachers; a specific group of teachers that is.  Even the top man made a scathing remark regarding the matter.  If I had the power to shrink myself, I would crawl under a rock in shame.  Come to think of it, if I had the power, I would just take that rock and hurl it at someone who best deserves it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...