Thursday, January 6, 2011

How Do I Say No!



Saying 'No' has always been my greatest weakness!  I have always found it rather difficult to say no to anyone who asks a favour from me.  I find it difficult to say no because I fear that I may offend these  people who ask favours from me or I am afraid they may be angry at me or worst of all, that I may in some way lose their friendship. 

On my part, I don't find it easy to decline a request because I know that I will eventually feel guilty for saying no.  And as a result of being guilty, I will in turn feel depressed and that I have done these people a huge injustice.

But, sometimes as I ponder my predicament, I always realise, albeit too late, that some of these people ask favours from me as a way of taking advantage of my weakness.  These people know that I will not be able to deny their requests and shall be obliged to fulfill them.  And indeed, in quite a number of situations, I find myself pressed for time, doing these people's favours, just to get into their good books.  I find myself focusing on these favours rather than my own work.  I also find that I later regret doing these favours because these people who ask them don't even take the time to thank me.


Anyway, today I managed to turn down a request for a favour.  And as I suspected, the person was in a way offended, and I suppose saddened by my decline.  The person cut short our conversation after realizing it.  Well, I am not surprised.  I won't even be surprised if what is left of our friendship is terminated.  But, if friendship thrives on one-way favours, I say, let it be terminated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...