Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas In Leeds

Mary Morris International Residence



Being in Malaysia, I have never been caught up in the thick of Christmas celebration.  That was not the case when I was studying in Leeds.  I, in fact, joined in the hordes of holiday shoppers weeks before Christmas with sales abound all over the city.  In fact, sales went well into Boxing Day!

It was not just the joy of joining other people in their shopping spree, but also seeing the sights and decorations put up in the shops and also the Christmas lights put up in the city.  Colourful lights in different shapes and colours adorning and criss-crossing streets as soon as it was dark and well into the early hours of the morning.  On top of that, to add the merriment, snow fell every day.  In fact, on one day we had 14 inches of snow!

To me Christmas should be all that plus the turkey that is slowly cooking in the oven, chestnuts roasting on open fire and gifts under the Christmas tree.  My Christmas in Leeds that year, was celebrated in Mary Morris International Residence with other students from different nationalities.  Of course those from the European countries had gone back for the holidays.

So, in place of the roast turkey, all of us cooked one dish each that represented our respective countries.  All of us were required to bring our dishes to the common gathering room.  Of course, every body wanted to show their expertise in cooking their national dishes.  I cooked chicken satay!  Unfortunately, I almost burnt the satay sticks because I had forgotten to soak them in water first before skewering the meat.  Anyway, nobody cared about the burnt sticks because we were busy enjoying the food.

My second year in Leeds, Christmas was celebrated in Beeston.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...