Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Proposal (Malay Custom Style)

The Man's Side of the Family


Today was the day my sister-in-law's second daughter got proposed to, in true traditional Malay style.  Even though they were more than two hours late in arriving at her house, my sister-in-law and her siblings plus all of her eight children waited patiently in the hot afternoon heat with lunch already served and waiting for the man's side to make their grand entrance.


My sister-in-law, who incidentally is my wife's second sister, had not intended this to be a big affair.  The only family she initially invited to help her out with the reception was my wife alone since it, as earlier mentioned, was supposed to be a small affair.  But family bonding and close relationship insisted that brothers and sisters be invited to the event whether or not they could attend.  It was just a matter of respect without a single of intention of asking for their assistance.  But the bond between my wife and her siblings were so close, they all arrived in hordes early in the morning, some even the day before, to lend a helping hand or what ever form of assistance they could offer.


It would be quite some time before I will be in the same situation as my sister-in-law, or for any of my own brothers and sisters for that matter, since most of our children are still studying.  I guess I can use this proposal (merisik) reception as a learning experience for me and my wife to use as a guide when our turn comes to hold such a function.  Nothing beats learning than learning through experience!


No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...