Tuesday, August 12, 2014

My Ohana Part 3

Star Q


I felt totally lost that morning when I reached Alor Setar a day later than the rest of my siblings. I didn't ask for directions from the locals who were at the railway station, so I just took my chances and went where my legs took me.

After almost ten minutes of walking, I was relieved to see a familiar sign; 7 Eleven!  I bought some credit for my old cellphone (the new one had ran out of battery after the eleven-hour journey from Kuala Lumpur!)  With my phone in hand, I dialled one of my brothers' number and upon hearing his voice, I didn't feel lost anymore; in fact I felt very much safer.

The hotel where my siblings had been putting up since yesterday was the Holiday Villa Hotel right opposite the 7 Eleven outlet where I was standing!  I was really hungry, so when my brother invited me for the buffet breakfast I was more than happy to oblige.  Of course, I maintained my decorum and chatted with my siblings, my dad and one of my sister-in-laws before I headed slowly and patiently to the buffet table.

While I was taking small bites of my omelette, I made a small mention to my brother that there were no more train tickets available for that night right up till next week.  He nonchalantly asked me for my identity card, typed something on his I-pad and assured me that I would be going back with him and the rest of the family the following day; by flight! 

The power of credit cards!  I have a credit card too, but I have to count every single cent that I have before I can bravely purchase anything using my credit card, for fear that I may not have anything left in my account to spend with!

Anyway, I am always humbled when this particular brother of mine take it upon himself to fork out necessary expenses for his siblings, and in this case expenditure for the hotel accommodation for five rooms for two nights, the sumptuous food and also the transportation by flight!

He may not see them as gestures that need to be repaid, of which I imagine I will never be able to anyway.  And at least, for this occasion where we needed to be by our sister's side, I will forever be in his debt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...