Monday, August 11, 2014

My Ohana Part 2

Star Q


The day my sister called me to inform about the passing on of her husband, it was a lazy Sunday for me.  My wife was hanging the clothes to dry and I was flipping through the pages of the Sunday Star newspaper.  It took a good five minutes for the news to register into my brain.

Once I had digested the news, my brain started racing to plan for my trip up north to Alor Setar to be by my sister's side.  There were a lot of things to plan, thus was the downside of being far away from the centre and hub of the country.  My other siblings had made arrangements to either fly or drive there.  I on the other hand, would have to rely on three modes of transportation!  But that did not stop me from rushing to the nearest inter-town bus station to purchase a ticket to Kuala Lumpur at least (sold out!)

I then drove quickly to the railway station to purchase a train ticket from my town to Kuala Lumpur, then, from Kuala Lumpur to Alor Setar.  I was informed that even if I did make it to Kuala Lumpur, the train to Alor Setar would have left by then.  I bought the Kuala Lumpur - Alor Setar ticket nevertheless, and decided to drive to Seremban to catch the commuter to Kuala Lumpur.

When I reached Seremban, my brother-in-law sent me to the railway station where I was just in time for the 7.30 p.m. commuter to Kuala Lumpur.  My son had told me that the journey would take one and a half hours and it did!  I reached KL Sentral at exactly 9.00 p.m.  I had just enough time to take a rest before the announcement for the arrival of the Kuala Lumpur - Alor Setar train blared loudly!

I went down to the platform with the rest of the passengers where the night train was already waiting.  I found my sleeping booth, put my hover-sack to one side and got ready for the long eleven-hour journey to Alor Setar.

I reached Alor Setar railway station on Monday morning at 8.15 a.m.  I suddenly felt nervous, small and lost because it was my first time in Alor Setar.  But the long journey that I made was totally worth it because what I did, I did it out of love for my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...