Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Thank You for the Hello!

Star Q


It was quite a surprising turn of event for me, when after twenty-six years of teaching, I decided to leave the profession that I have come to love and cherish.  It was not an easy decision, I must add, but one that I had to make because of the many things that I personally see as things that do not want me to be a teacher per se!


But having said that, there is something about being a teacher that always brings a lot of joy to me, so much so that any thing that has been getting me down just seems to disappear into thin air, and lifts my spirits to cloud nine and beyond.  That one thing I am referring to is when one of my former students who have left school many, many years ago, comes up to me, says hello and strikes a spontaneous discussion.

One such occasion involved a former student whom I taught way back in 2000 (I think!)  I was choosing some fish at the market when this young man greeted me.  I instantly recognised him because to me, he really has not changed that much, at least his facial features.  I was happy to have had the chance to talk to him.  I am even happier to know that he is now a practising doctor.

Another occasion was with another student whom I taught in 2005 or 2006 (I think!)  I was at the night market (but it was still light) and looking at some at the food sold there when this young man greeted me and held out his hand to shake mine.  The only thing I know about his progress is his involvement in Scouts and it was a real surprise to me to find out that he is now a teacher teaching English!  I was hungry when I reached the night market, but after talking to this ex-student of mine, I felt satiated!

You see, a teacher (or an ex-teacher!) does not really need much to cheer him.  A simple hello is enough to make his day.  A conversation is considered a bonus!




No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...