Sunday, April 20, 2014

Not Worth The Concern

Star Q


Ever had a colleague who totally ignores you when he is enjoying himself or when he decides to go outstation?  And that very same colleague who comes after you like a life-line whenever he has some task to complete or when he needs your help?  Unfortunately, I have that kind of colleague.

Being concerned for a colleague's well-being is something that comes with a relationship in a working environment.   I remember one day when this colleague of mine was almost two hours late coming to the office.  I had sent him a short message asking him if he was coming into the office that day an hour after clocking in and later another short message through watsapp.  With all the news about teachers being involved in accidents and all that, it is natural for a colleague to worry.  However, almost two and a half hours later, he emerged without offering any kind of explanation for being late.  Only later that day did I find out he had gone somewhere else earlier that morning.

And what ticked me off the most was, he had the nerve to reply my short message after office hours just as I was driving away from the office parking lot.

Sometimes I feel it is not worth the effort to be concerned about another person's well-being when what you are doing is not appreciated at all.  I thought this sort of thing only happens with your boss who has so many staff to monitor that he sometimes (well, most of the time, actually!) oversees what you have done and always forgets about your achievements!

Sometimes I feel like I should only be concerned about my own well-being where occupation is concerned.  But as in any working environment, sometimes you have no choice but to get other colleagues to work with you and there are also times when they need your help.  I can't possibly think about my own welfare at the office and disregard those of my colleagues, in particular this one colleague.  Or can I?


No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...