Monday, August 26, 2013

An Incident with a Moronic Motorcyclist

Star Q

Image sourced from Google

Sunday is a day to relax and to forget the week of work I have done and the work waiting for me in the week ahead.  Sunday for me is also a day to take things really slow and easy.  Unfortunately for some people, the word slow is taken so literally that they apply this adjective when driving on the main road where the speed limit is supposed to be 70 km/h!

I was returning home from the market this morning and was driving home along the main road when I saw this couple on a motorcycle right in front of me.  Two things that immediately ticked me off about the rider was that he was riding so slowly because when I checked my speedometer, he was going at a mere 30 km/h, which would be a normal speed if one was driving in a housing estate or near a school.  The other thing that got me fuming was that the rider was riding right in the middle of the road as if he was driving a ten tonne lorry.

With all the incoming traffic, it was impossible for me to overtake him, but once the coast was clear, I immediately overtook him.  I knew I must have drove a mere inches from, but that was to be expected because I didn't what to take the whole road on my right when I overtook him.

I thought I was finally rid of this inconsiderate driver who apparently thought he had the road all to himself just because he paid his road tax (as if other road users don't!)  However, when I glanced into my rear view mirror, I noticed that, at his still slow speed, he was following me.  He continued to follow me until I stopped at the fruit shop where he and his partner also stopped; right in front of my car!  

Expecting something unpleasant to happen, I took my time getting out of the car and pretended to count the cash I had in my wallet.  I noticed that the wife (at least I think that's who she was!) was slowly approaching my car, so I slowly got out of the car and pretend to look around.  The husband was about to approach me when I heard the wife mentioning the words 'teacher' and 'school' to her husband.  The two of them got back on their motorcycle, and slowly left; as slowly as they had followed me!

Later I realised that the wife was referring to the t-shirt I was wearing this morning, which was my school's official sports t-shirt and the school badge was clearly visible!  Even though I thank my lucky stars for wearing this t-shirt and any possible unpleasant things were averted, I still hoped it was not the t-shirt that stopped the motorcycle rider from coming up to me.  

I hope it was the realization that he had done something wrong.  I hope he eventually realizes it; no matter how slow it takes him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...