Thursday, January 3, 2013

Making Sense of Education Expenses

Star Q


I guess I have been lucky enough not to have the above expenses included in my monthly expenditure.  In fact, I know I am lucky compared to those who have to fork out so much.  However, I would think that spending any amount of money for your children's education should not be considered a burden.

Anyway, I never had to spend so much money on my children's primary education (which is the context from which this table was taken from)  First of all, I dispensed with the school bus/van monthly fare by purposely buying a house very close to their schools (both primary and secondary)  I made do without the RM35/hour a subject by choosing specific subjects my children were weak at.  

I excluded most of the RM180/year for the reference books by buying, once again, those subjects that my children needed help with.  Even then, I never bought more than two sets per subject because I found out that the diligent teachers in their schools always prepared worksheets and exercises/notes for them to read/do at home.

As for the pocket money, I only gave my children RM10/week which they never actually spent because most of the time they would be bringing lunch boxes from home.

I am thankful that I never felt the pinch (by cutting corners here and there) when it came to my children's school expenses when they were in primary or secondary school, because if I had complained, I would be complaining twice or three times as much now that they are pursuing tertiary education (even with the PTPTN!!!)

Come to think of it, I should not complain at all, because ensuring that my children get their education is what, I as a parent, am supposed to do!  Well, maybe once a while in my personal (not public!) solitude!



No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...