Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Good Leadership Through Example

Star Q


It has been quite a long time since I heard this quote.  Of late, however, it has been ringing in my ears like the sound of a huge bell; painful and consistent!  This quote, which was made famous during our fourth Prime Minister's era, should find it's place again now!

The reason for this sudden lament of a much practiced quote is due to a situation which was related to me by a certain student.  This distraught student came to me a few days ago, pouring his heart out about the way he was addressed to by one senior teacher in his school.

I know that complaints by students should be taken with a pinch of salt because some of them can be over-exaggerated.  However, I found myself taken in by what the student said to me because he is indeed one of the best students where discipline is concerned; plus he is very respectful to all his teachers and a pious student to boot!

He related to me that he had just gone to purchase something from the canteen (with permission) and as it was recess time, there was obviously a large crowd of other students there.  What ticked him off (and what I too, deem as inappropriate) was when the senior teacher yelled at him (in an attempt to get his attention) by calling him "Oi! Bodoh!!!" (Oi! Stupid!)  The teacher apprehended the boy because according to him the boy had done something that was against the school rule.  A small matter which could have been handled amicably.

I have learned that, in any given situation, whether or not the student is guilty, a teacher should in no way (at least morally) call a student 'Bodoh'.  Such a label given by a senior teacher to a student (who has had a good track record in school) can be both damaging morally and spiritually.  The damage can be even greater when such a word is exclaimed in public in the midst of other students!

The teacher must have been having a bad day at the time, because I was also told by another student that the senior teacher had been going on a walloping spree around the school just because the students did not want to sit according to his instruction in their classes!

This teacher has certainly got some serious issues, so the appropriate authorities should address this issue seriously!




No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...