Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Exemplary Military Conduct?

Star Q


I have always had high respect for military personnel mostly because of the occupation they represent and the safety of the nation that they uphold.  I have always had a good first impression when I see young army officers, all decked out in the uniforms, looking upright and disciplined.

However, this superficial feeling and awe was shattered many years ago, and it is only now that I find the time (and sense) to write about it; shattered because of what I saw.  All my preconceptions about these elite group people and the discipline that they represent has gone into the bin!

I have seen, on more than one occasion, army personnel who have been delegated the task of ferrying school children to and from school, smoking their cigarettes until their lungs turned black right in front of the children.  At one glance, you may think that smoking doesn't really harm anyone except the smoker.  On the other hand, smoking does affect other people, especially young children who inevitably will somehow inhale the secondary smoke of these smokers.

Apart from that, a smoking army personnel definitely sets a bad example to the children under their care.  I mean, what kind of example can you really expect to gain from some who smokes?  Only bad ones!

I have tried to limit this particular discussion to the small group of specific army personnel who ferry children to and from school and only to those who smoke while they are doing their job.  Other personnel in the same field do not have to feel that I am directing this entry to everybody else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...