Saturday, November 5, 2011

Aidil Adha : A Sister's Sacrifice


As a young girl, she had already started to make sacrifices whether it was out of her own choice or forced upon her by others.  I remember the day when the form three examination results came out, and she did not do well in it, nothing was done for her in order for her to continue her education because at that time you could not pursue your form four if you did not do well in your form three examination.  Contrary to what is going on today, where any Tom, Dick and Harry can enter form four, even if you fail all the subject in form three!

She was not even sent to learn any kind of skills like sewing for example because back then the daily school just didn't have any provision for the study of living skills in upper secondary, and I suppose my father was not financially equipped to send her to a private school!  And so, my sister was forced to stay at home and spend those early years of her life becoming my late mother's assistant, when other teenage girls her age were busy studying in school or chasing boys or both. She cooked our food, she cleaned the house, she washed our clothes (by hand no less!) and other household chores a person twice her age would normally do!

But her biggest sacrifice was when she helped to care for our ailing late mother until the very end (almost, because she had to care for her ailing husband next, until now!)  There was never a moment that my heart did not cry out for her every time I met her, always the giving person; tending to my late mom's every need (and my dad as well!) including when nature called, preparing the meals (separate meals for mom and dad!),  washing the clothes right up to feeding the many cats which she adored; and the days would end by her sleeping in the small room (if you can call it a room!) and on a rickety old bed!  On top of all that she also had to care for her growing son!

I never shared the grouses that people made about her not really sweeping the house or doing the dusting, because, I think, after doing all the housework, she wouldn't have had any energy left to do anything else.  Plus taking care of my late mother was a full time responsibility which she shouldered on behalf of all of us.  

This was the young girl who was not liked by my father; this was the girl who bore the brunt of our father's anger when ever he was angry, but, with the Grace of Allah, this is the same person who have sacrificed herself for about five years to care for our late mother and indirectly, our father too.  Something which my other five siblings and I would have found difficult to do!

I am writing this only on my behalf and I know I can never repay all the kindness you have done for our late mother.   And so today on this auspicious Aidil Adha, as I do every time after I solat, I raise both my hands and pray that Allah bestow upon you, my dear sister, all the blessings, for only Allah can repay you with rewards unbeknownst to either of us.  Thank you, An, for being my sister and thank you Allah for giving a sister like her to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...