Thursday, August 13, 2015

Complaints of the Present Youngsters

Star Q
It seems like a very long time ago when all the baby boomers, just like the present generation, had to fight for their livelihood in an environment where one had to compete with one another for a good job (or any job for that matter) just to make sure that they can be self-supportive.

It is also very normal for anyone who has finished school or tertiary education to want some kind of job to ensure their livelihood.  I suppose the determination to secure a job is quite different between people from my generation and the present generation.  For me at least, I was desperately trying to search for a job right after my secondary education.  My family's background did not allow me to pursue any kind of means to further my education.

So, whether I liked it or not, I immediately found a job as a bookshop assistant with a measly monthly salary of RM300.  This salary would be a far cry from what youngsters from the present generation may get if they were holding the same position.  I survived a year with that meager salary before I upgraded myself to working with a private company with a monthly salary of  RM480.00 (excluding overtime!)  After almost two years I upgraded myself to working as a clerk for a monthly salary of RM548.00.

All those years I didn't find myself complaining.  Instead I persisted and looked forward to something better.  Nobody heard about my grouses and dissatisfaction (since there was none!) probably because there was not a single social media to pour our hearts to friends (and strangers alike!)

But nowadays with the advent of technology, you get your daily bombardment of unhappy youngsters complaining about the system and their lives; all the time wanting other people to do something to make their lives better.  If they can't find a job, someone else must take responsibility.  If they don't get their allowances, someone else is not doing their job.  It is always the fault of others and not the fault of the people who complain through the social media.

One such example is the plight of a fresh graduate, in his desperation to secure a job suitable with his qualification, who goes and announce his dissatisfaction on the social media as to the delay in securing a job; blaming other organizations for it.

I am not a judgemental person but I have to be one in this situation.  Indeed everyone wants a job (and salary!) that is suitable to his or her qualification.  And everyone would want it immediately after you graduate.  However, this does not always happen in today's reality.

Instead of complaining, what the individual could do is to look for a temporary job (even if the salary and qualification may not be suitable with his degree)  Use that as an opportunity to tide the time away until you secure a suitable job.  At the same time you can even learn a lot of things for example, soft skills. 

When you are drowning, you don't just complain and wait for people to save you!  In your desperation to survive you may even grasp at straws, if they could save your life.  Desperate times require desperate measures and those measures does not include harping about your dissatisfaction and complaints, blaming them on others and not doing anything positive yourself.

If you want a job as a grown up, your mentality and attitude should also grow up as well.





No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...