Sunday, December 14, 2014

Fare Thee Well Mustafa Maarof



Star Q

The last actor from the trio of famous actors who make up the main characters from the old Malay movie Bawang Putih Bawang Merah has finally been laid to rest.  Mustafa Maarof who was admitted to the Tuanku Mizan Army Hospital in Wangsa Maju, passed away at 8.30 a.m., on 15th Disember 2014.

I remember Mustafa Maarof not from his later movies but from his earlier ones done in black and white.  To me, his films like Bawang Putih Bawang Merah and Naga Tasik Chini, which he co-starred with the late Latifah Omar has left a lot more impact.  Monochrome movies let my imagination run amok because when I watch these movies, I think about the color scheme of the costumes that the actors wear, I wonder about things that they use then to make up the props and I am awe-inspired as to the number of hours that they had to put in in order to get the precise impact from the words that the actors convey in the script.  Plus, there's no denying that the songs linger in my mind until today!  Thank goodnes for YouTube!

Fare thee well Mustafa Maarof.  The Malay movie world will miss you.  If your father has a road in Bangsar named after him for us to remember him by, we have your movies to remember you by.  May your soul be placed among the pious.  Al-Fatihah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...