Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Another Reason To Be Grateful

Star Q


I was invited to attend a workshop at the English Language Teaching Centre last week; an opportunity which I had been looking forward to for quite some time now.  Not so much about attending the workshop but more about the chance to be at the premise.

It was really awe inspiring just to be at the place.  The area was beautifully and tastefully landscaped.  The placement of the buildings was purposely terraced interconnected with winding pathways and steps.  The architecture of the buildings reminded me of something that could be built in Britain that I find myself temporarily transported twenty-five years in time to Leeds.

But most of all, I was taken aback by the sheer vastness of the working area that was provided for the staff there.  I mean, seriously, I could draw out two badminton courts there alone.  And the individual working space was three or four times larger than what we have at our office.  I remember talking to one of the staff there whom I had earlier met somewhere in August.  I told her that it was no wonder when I met her and her staff then, they were so cheerful and happy.  I came to a conclusion that that was due to their pleasant working environment.

But after a second thought, I came to a realization that I should not be envious of the staff there.  On the contrary I should be grateful for the fact that I at least a room to myself albeit way smaller than the ones the staff at ELTC has.  I was grateful because it reminded me of my friends in Alor Gajah who not only do not have individual rooms, but no rooms for them to share either.

It also instantly made me recall the story about the man complaining about his rickety bicycle when he saw a man who had no bicycle and was walking.  The man who was walking complained about tiredness when he saw another man who did not have nay legs to walk with.

When I look around my small working space, I have another reason to be grateful!


No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...