Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Unbearable Bubur Chacha

Star Q


It is my third day here at Glory Beach Resort in the seaside town of Port Dickson and so far, I have been refraining myself from having to say unfavourable things about this place.  I have tried really enough to the point that I am almost bursting at the seams.

Today however was the tasteless, horrible icing on the equally insipid cake that I simply have to say something.  I know that no one in this world can be totally excellent about food preparation but when you are a resort catering to the public with a staff of chefs and sous chefs who are usually qualified in their field, then you really have something to prove.

I have refrained from saying anything about the food for the past seven or eight meals but after tonight's dinner it just got to me.  I am only (for now) focusing on the local dessert that they had tonight which was Bubur Chacha.

Every true blooded Malaysian would know that a typical Bubur Chacha would have the essential elements consisting of the yam and sweet potato cubes plus the colourful flour strips that is the Chacha which gives the bubur its name; not to confuse it with Chacha the dance..

Anyway the Bubur Chacha the resort had to offer was a watery concoction of a much diluted coconut milk mixt, some sago and corn kernels; I wonder where the corn element would come in the traditional Bubur Chacha.

Anyway a word to the resort management, serving food to the guests is not merely slapping any food simply to fill your guests' hungry tummy.  In the case of the Bubur Chacha, it is the responsibility of the management to uphold the authenticity of the recipe as a form of promotion of local food to guests who come from abroad and local alike.

If you don't know how to make Bubur Chacha then I suggest the chefs here make something they know.  At least don't put yourself and inevitably your country to shame by bastardizing a much loved local dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...