Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Twilight Career Change

Star Q

It's a strange feeling having to get up early and go to work on a day when most schools are having their extended Lunar New Year holidays.  The reality of the situation has not really sunk in yet, for I am still groggy and catching my balance as I walk out of the house, greeted by the cold 6.00 o'clock morning breeze.  Yes, I am working on a day when most of my friends are on holiday.

The difference is, starting from today, I am no longer working in a school with a time schedule of 7.40 a.m. to 2.40 p.m. (not always!)  My office hours from today onwards is from 8.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. because as I mentioned at the beginning of this sentence, I am now following the usual office hours and working in an office.

I know it is a drastic change to make especially after twenty eight years of teaching; twenty eight short years by my standard and experience to have undergone anything and everything a teacher could possibly go through.  I have gone through the different education polices; I have worked under numerous numbers of principals; I have had the pleasure (and some displeasure, most certainly!) of teaching thousands of students some of whom have made a commendable living for themselves and their families.  I have also seen all possible human behaviours, from the best to the worst, anyone could probably have the opportunity to see; which I will definitely not miss.

What I will miss however is the camaraderie that has developed between me and my fellow teachers all this while.  I have taught in several schools, and I am not overestimating things when I say that the group ethos developed with this group of friends is the closest.  Well, it has been eighteen years with them after all!

With all the jitters of a 'probie' entering a new working environment, I am hoping and praying for all the best that is yet to come.  I am hoping and praying for all the blessings Allah has to give, for at the twilight of my working career, I really need all the divine guidance (and intervention!) I can possibly get.

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...