Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Exams : Make Sure Your Kids Are Ready

Star Q


It the time for exams again even though the students in Forms 1 and 2 don't really have a specific kind of formative exam since their are using the PBS system.  Whatever the case, schools still need to conduct some kind of formative exam so that streamings of classes for the new year can be done.

Talking about exams,  I have noticed over the years that students are getting more and more relaxed, lackadaisical rather, about the whole exam thing.  A case in point is our end-of-year exam which is full swing at the moment.  This student (in the picture above) for example, only brought a pen and a pencil to school.  There was no sign of an eraser or a ruler or other necessary stationery.  And ever so often she would be disturbing her friends, asking to borrow their erasers and rulers.

There are many other things to prove that other students like her are not ready to sit for their exams but I wish only to focus on their readiness with regards to the stationery that they need to bring.  I remember when I was small, my parents would remind me at least a week before any exam, to check my pencil case if I had all the necessary stationery to sit for my exam; from pens, pencils (at least two of each), erasers, rulers and geometry set to colour pencils and magic colours!  Even at that young age I noticed that my classmates never borrowed from each other during exams, because they were also ready.

I do the same thing with my children now.  I remind them to check their stationery; those they would need for the exam; two pencils in case one breaks, two pens in case one runs out of ink and son.  And if they where lacking of anything, it's off to the nearest stationery store.  All this is done so that my children can concentrate on answering their exam papers and not disturbing others.

It is only fair to assume that this girl did not have anyone to remind her of all these things, even though she is an only child from a quite-well-to-do family; or perhaps she is just the kind of student who is never ready for anything in school, except disturbing others.



No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...