Tuesday, June 18, 2013

My memory of Latifah Omar



Star Q
iii.  3Cs Lasagna

I couldn't describe the sense of loss I felt when I read about the passing of this great legend and it has taken me this long to realize that void I feel inside can never be replaced.  The only way to compensate that loss is to write about how feel about this screen goddess, Latifah Omar.

My initial reaction after reading her short biography in one of the newspapers was of much sadness as she would have probably felt during her life, from young until her acting days.  In the biography she was described as having a difficult life (please read more to find out) and it came as no surprise to me as to how she could have acted all those roles she played ever so convincingly; those sad and unfortunate characters in the films she acted were actually a mirror of her own life.

No Baby Boomer can ever (or will we ever) forget the songs that were made famous by this film actress (even though she did not sing them herself) in many of her films.  Songs like Gurindam Jiwa (from the movie Gurindam Jiwa) and Perigi Biru (from Bawang Putih Bawang Merah); and a list of other songs made famous in her movies.

But one song that sticks to my mind so steadfastly is the song from Lancang Kuning titled Nyiur Gading Puncak Mahligai.  My late mother told me (many, many times!) that I started singing this song when I was about five years old or less.  She said that I would be crooning this song upon the requests of the ladies, aunties and grandmothers in our village, and they would all cry listening to me sing.  No!  Not because I had an irritating voice but because I sang it so well and with full expression, that it brought them to tears!  My mother is not around anymore to attest to what I am saying and neither is most of the ladies, aunties and grandmothers.  But one auntie is till alive today and I cannot help but feel I embarrassed when I bump into her every time I go back to my village.  Sometimes, jokingly, she would simply say from afar, 'Nyiur Gading Puncak Mahligai!'

I have many more fond memories of this great actress lingering at the back of my mind.  But for now, suffice to say that there will be no other actress who can surpass her credibility in acting.  At least I have her songs to cling to.  May Allah place her among the pious, In syaa Allah.




No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...