Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Kluang : 22 Years Later

Star Q


It was a nostalgic trip down memory lane when I passed by Kluang town recently on my way to Bandar Tenggara to attend a course.  It was a long and tiring trip and I am really glad I wasn't the one who was doing the driving, which gave me a chance to really see what Kluang had become after 22 years since I left it.

I have heard about its development from my ex-students whom I used to teach many, many years.  They always keep me up to date about the development of the once sleepy town.  Well, I didn't really had a chance to go sightseeing but the development was quite staggering.  One major difference was that there is now a huge hospital complex.

The town itself seems to be divided into two distinct sections; the old Kluang town and a new, more modern looking and well-planned township with all the perks and creature comforts like entertainment and fast food outlet.  I remember when I was living there, the only fast food outlet then was Kentucky Fried Chicken Restaurant, which incidentally was always full, especially on pay day!

During that time I was actually living over 20 kilometers away from Kluang town, in a palm oil plantation.  It was really difficult to go to town because the only public transport available to town was a sad looking public bus which serviced the estate twice a day; once early in the morning and the other one later in the day; which means one had to rely on other modes of transportation like the 'ghost taxis'!

Living there during those days was a big challenge for someone who was born and bred in the country's national capital,; but thrive I did and continued to stay there for almost six years until I had a chance to further my education.

Having said that, I can safely say that I would prefer not to make Kluang my home, not that it is not a nice place, but because I have set up roots here; roots which are the basis of a strong foundation for me and my family.  Anyway, thank you Kluang for the life experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...