Monday, June 23, 2014

A Long Time Coming

Star Q


It has been quite some time since I was given the opportunity to attend professional courses.  If I remember correctly, the last time I was instructed to attend a course was 2010, that is four long years ago.  After that, the chances to go for courses seem to slip through my fingers.

Some people may ask, "What is the big deal about attending professional courses?".  Well, for me being given the opportunity to attend professional courses allows me to increase my knowledge on the latest teaching techniques or something new about the education system here.  It allows me to meet old friends within the English-teachers circle and those outside this circle.  It also allows me, as a senior teacher, the opportunity to take a breather from the hectic life of a school teacher.

Come to think of it, the call to attend courses never came for the last four years.  In fact, I remember making formal requests to the administrators to go for two specific courses but were subtly turned down, for reasons that were not made known to me.  Surprisingly, some other teachers who were quite hesitant to attend the courses, were asked to go instead.

However, the inferiority complex in me seems to tell me that the possible reason as to why I have not been asked to go for courses is because of my age and also the fact that I am nearing my retirement.  That being the case, the administrators feel that it would be a waste for me to go compared to my younger colleagues who has more years of service and the opportunity to disseminate knowledge pertaining to the courses attend to more people.  The irony is, most of these young ones are rather reluctant to attend.

Anyway, whatever the administrators' reasons, I can be contented in the fact that I am now attending quite a number of courses which I feel, make up for the years of courses that I have been denied.


No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...