Sunday, May 12, 2013

Multiracial Part 1 - Food!

Star Q

Images are sourced from Google

First and foremost, I would like to make it very clear that I am not writing because my opinions are inclined or similar to anyone you or I may know, because of late, the word 'multiracial' has become a buzz word of sorts and you really cannot go by a single day without seeing, listening or thinking about this word.  But, I digress!

I have pondered on the world myself and I seem to think that one of the reasons why we Malaysians are called 'multiracial' is because we seem to be enjoying foods are are typical of the ones eaten by our friends and their ancestors.  You have the Malays with their Rendang, the Chinese with their Yong Tow Foo and the Indians with their curries (among other huge varieties of food that I shall not include here!  Go figure!)

Time and again, when we go to the Nasi Lemak stall, we will see our Chinese friends buying 'Rendang Ayam' or 'Sambal Tumis Kerang' to complement their coconut rice.  You see Nasi Beriani (which incidentally originated from North India) and Nasi Kandar (which really started off in Penang sold by the  original Indian Muslim communities) outlets opening everywhere like wild mushrooms because of their popularity amongst other races, including Malays and Chinese.  And you also see many Halal Chinese Restaurants opening here and there to cater to the Malays' and other Malaysians' appetite for Chinese food.

I don't know about you, my fellow Malaysians, but when I eat a plate of Yong Tow Foo, I will remember all my Chinese friends and the chats we would have about how to make fishballs! (you can honestly tell by now that I love cooking!)  When I am eating curry (chicken or fish!) I will remember my friends and Indian neighbours with the aromatic smell of their curries wafting through the air when they cook.  

Then again, like I said, I don't know anything about you!  But if the Chinese and Indians never came to Malaysia in the first place, would we have been any richer, food wise.  Indeed, food may be a small part of what makes a country multiracial, but it has made us all a little richer nonetheless.  And I always say it is better to be richer than to be poorer!  Go figure!



No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...