Saturday, November 23, 2013

Friday and Saturday for Johor!

Star Q
iii.  STPM 2013


First of all let me congratulate His Highness the Sultan of Johor for making a bold move in changing the weekend for Johor back to Friday and Saturday.  I say 'back' because Johor's weekend before the early 90's was in fact Friday and Saturday before it was changed to Saturday and Sunday because someone thought it was easier to accommodate the similar working days with Singapore, making it easier for business transactions.

So, bringing back Johor's weekend to Friday and Saturday is in fact nothing new and thus people should not make such a big fuss over it.  Of course, people being people will always complain about anything new and what they are not familiar with, and sometimes without realizing, will come out as scathing remarks.  

I mean, all the time before the early 90's no one actually made anything out of the Friday/Saturday weekends because they were used to it.  Even when I, being someone from KL, was posted to a district in Johor, I learnt to accept that fact.  Even though it was difficult at first, since I was so used to sitting in front of the television on most of my lazy Sundays, I eventually learnt quickly that for every cloud, there was a silver lining.  Unfortunately, some are not going to accept the change as easily as I did.

But, the most important thing was that, I never for a second thought there was any underlying or sinister reason for making Friday and Saturday the weekend.  I never once harboured the idea that it could possibly benefit a certain group of people and could be a disadvantage to another.  And above all. I never blamed anyone for that situation for which I was initially uncomfortable with.

The weekend change is not going to change some wealthy businessmen into paupers nor it is not going to turn you from being a rightful citizen of this country into an illegal immigrant (unless of course, if you were once a citizen of this country and is just simply making a big issue out of nothing!)  What it is, is just another weekend; if it is not Saturday and Sunday, it's Friday and Saturday.  That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...