Saturday, November 15, 2014

A Quaint Little Shah

Star Q


It has been a very busy second half of the year for me; attending courses back-to-back for seven weeks in a row.  Who ever said attending courses is something to look forward to and not to be missed is obviously missing a marble or two.

After a while,  attending long (and sometimes boring) sessions of courses, being cooped up in hotels can get to be a bit dreary.  I am speaking for myself  here, because having spent all those time there holed up in a proverbial box and being fed six to seven times a day without having to do much movement, made me feel like a very privileged broiler chicken being force fed and plumped up.

So, it was really a much welcome change when I was asked to attend another course (no complaints here!) just last week at a quaint little seaside resort tucked away between two tall hotels facing the Straits of Melaka, way down in the Historical City.

In fact it didn't feel like a course.  It felt like I was attending something that I actually requested to attend mainly because almost all the modules in the course were information that I was hungry for.  And of course the chalets were nothing compared to the rooms in the hotels where one would need to use the lifts to get there.  No!  

At Shah's Beach Resort, I was relieved to find out that I needed to leave my room, get into the sunlight and walk to the hall for the lectures.  Then it was another 25-metre walk after the lectures to the restaurant where our meals were served.  And after the sessions, in the evening, I was able to unwind by taking a leisurely walk on the beach or merely sitting under the coconut trees watching the tide roll in.  It was also quite relaxing to watch one of the course participants who had actually brought his fishing rod along to the course, fishing to his heart's content.  All this plus the fact that the resort was well maintained, the smiles that were constantly on the faces of the resort's staff and the traditionally-designed wooden building, added to the charm of the place which made the course a pleasure to attend.

Perhaps future course organisers can use this this particular course that I attended as an example.  Sadly though, due to unforseen circumstances, quite a few participants did not turn up for the course.  Well, I guess it's their loss and my gain; in more ways than one!  And thank you Shah's Beach Resort for your hospitality.


No comments:

Post a Comment

After Two Years.....

Can't believe that I have been too busy to write that I have actually left this blog untouched for two long years.  A lot of thing...